Call for Papers
Continuing the successful mission of previous MTSR Conferences (MTSR'05, MTSR'07, MTSR'09, MTSR'10, MTSR'11, MTSR’12 and MTSR'13), the eighth International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR'14) aims to bring together scholars and practitioners that share a common interest in the interdisciplinary field of metadata, linked data and ontologies. Participants will share novel knowledge and best practice in the implementation of these semantic technologies across diverse types of Information Environments and applications. These include Cultural Informatics; Open Access Repositories & Digital Libraries; E-learning applications; Search Engine Optimisation & Information Retrieval; Research Information Systems and Infrastructures; e-Science and e-Social Science applications; Agriculture, Food and Environment; Bio-Health & Medical Information Systems.
Scope and Topics
Contributions are welcome on every topic related to Metadata and their relationships with Ontologies, Semantic Web, Knowledge Management and Software Engineering, including but not limited to:
- Typology of metadata and metadata uses
- The value and cost of metadata
- Quality evaluation in the use of Metadata
- Metadata reusability
- New or revised metadata schemas or application profiles
- Metadata standardization
- Empirical studies on metadata and/or ontologies usage
II. Languages and Frameworks for Metadata Management
- SGML, XML, UML in theory and practice
- Languages and Frameworks for Ontology Management
- Metadata and the Semantic Web
- Metadata and Knowledge Management
- Metadata and Software Engineering
- Metadata application of Semantic Web technologies
- Ontologies and Ontology-based Knowledge Management Systems
III. Case Studies
- Metadata and ontologies for librarianship, management of historical archives and archeological research
- Metadata and ontologies for the design of innovative products and processes
- Metadata and ontologies for health, biological and clinical information management
- Metadata and ontologies in finance, tourism and public administrations
- Metadata and ontologies in industry
- Metadata and ontologies in education
- Metadata and ontologies in agriculture, food and environment
IV. Technological Issues
- Technologies for Metadata and ontology storage
- Technologies for Metadata and ontology integration
- Technologies for Metadata extraction and navigation, querying and editing of ontologies
- Technologies for Learning Objects management
Interested authors can submit to EasyChair. The following types of presentation are invited:
- full papers (10-15 pages) reporting complete research
- short papers (4-8 pages) presenting ongoing or preliminary research
- posters (2 pages)
Papers should be original and not previously submitted to other Conferences or Journals. All submissions will be reviewed on the basis of relevance, originality, importance and clarity following a double-blind peer review process. Submitted papers have to follow the LNCS proceedings formatting style and guidelines. Authors of accepted papers will be asked to register to the Conference and present their work in the form of either oral presentation or poster presentation. The Conference welcomes Workshops and Tutorial on any issues concerning metadata, ontologies, semantic Web, knowledge management, software engineering and digital libraries.
Proceedings will be published by Springer in the Communications in Computer and Information Science (CCIS) book series (http://www.springer.com/series/7899). CCIS is abstracted/indexed in DBLP, Google Scholar, EI-Compendex, Mathematical Reviews, SCImago, Scopus. CCIS volumes are also submitted for the inclusion in ISI Proceedings.
Revised and extended versions of best papers will be published in selected international journals, including the International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies (Inderscience), and Program: Electronic library and information systems (Emerald) (list incomplete).
- Best paper award: This award will be presented to the authors of the best full paper submitted and presented to the conference.
- Best student paper award: The 8th MTSR’14 conference sponsors a paper competition to recognize excellence in a conference paper
contribution whose primary author is a student (normally at a PhD or MRes level). The student is required to present the paper at the MTSR2014 conference. Submissions are evaluated on their originality, scientific merits, structure, and clarity of composition.
July 13th, 2014
- New deadline: July 31st, 2014: Paper submission
- August 17th, 2014
- Acceptance/rejection notification
- August 31st, 2014
- Camera-ready papers due
- Nov 27th - 29th, 2014
The conference welcomes the organization of special tracks focusing on particular domains or topics. Proposals for special tracks are welcome. Papers submitted to tracks undergo the same review procedures and are published in the same proceedings as those accepted for the main track. Tracks currently being organized:
- Cultural Collections & Applications
- Agriculture, Food & Environment
- Big data and Digital Libraries in Health, Science & Technology
- Open Repositories, Research Information Systems and Data Infrastructures
- European and National Projects, and Project Networking
Revised and extended versions of best papers will be published in selected international journals, including the International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies (Inderscience), and Program: Electronic library andinformation systems (Emerald) (list incomplete).
Proceedings have been published in the Springer's CCIS (Communications in Computer and Information Science) Series in previous events.
- MTSR 2013 proceedings have been published in Vol. 390 of the CCIS Series
- MTSR 2012 proceedings have been published in Vol. 343 of the CCIS Series
- MTSR 2011 proceedings have been published in Vol. 240 of the CCIS Series
- MTSR 2010 proceedings have been published in Vol. 108 of the CCIS Series
- MTSR 2009 proceedings have been published in Vol. 46 of the CCIS Series
- MTSR 2007 proceedings have been published in Vol. 16 of the CCIS Series
- MTSR 2005 proceedings